NZ Lawyer forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Sexism in the law: Notes to my younger self

Notify me of new replies via email
NZ Lawyer | 29 Aug 2018, 05:47 a.m. Agree 0
“I am now too angry to stay silent”
  • stuart cummings | 29 Aug 2018, 10:57 a.m. Agree 0
    Excellent; sending this on to my daughters.
  • Anon | 29 Aug 2018, 11:25 a.m. Agree 0
    Shut up Meg.
  • ClareF | 29 Aug 2018, 12:06 p.m. Agree 0
    Well said. Actions speak louder than words, and for an industry that prides itself on getting action and resolving issues, it fails miserably in this area. However, it is not alone, and that is no excuse. There are many other areas where this same environment is rife. Surely this is the time now when so much focus is on this particular issue that Lawyers should be the ones leading the way in a conscious change of attitude and behaviour.
  • Mike | 29 Aug 2018, 12:58 p.m. Agree 0
    Bravo; well said!
  • Bill Brierley | 29 Aug 2018, 02:05 p.m. Agree 0
    Awesome response.

I, too, will be passing it on to my daughters, one of whom is now studying Law.

Thanks Cathy, for being a great role model for them.
  • JenniferB | 29 Aug 2018, 07:38 p.m. Agree 0
    Brilliant article. So well written and a timely wake-up call to the legal profession.
  • Jonathan Peddie | 29 Aug 2018, 11:40 p.m. Agree 0
    A excellent opinion piece, Cathy, which resonates beyond the New Zealand market. I shall be circulating it to colleagues in the UK where there are many similar issues, as you know.

Anyone who says that expressing sentiments such as these is politically dangerous or ill-advised needs to consider their position. Thought leadership such as yours is badly needed. At some point in a career the brave stop being followers and start setting the tone for the next generation. This form of intolerance is both refreshing and welcome.
  • Peter Wogan | 30 Aug 2018, 01:28 p.m. Agree 0
    Outstanding article Cathy! The pace of cultural change is set by the will and desire of leaders - it can happen as quickly and effectively as they choose. Keep calling out the profession's leaders and keep doing it loud and clear!
  • Stephanie Pursley | 30 Aug 2018, 04:34 p.m. Agree 0
    Thank you Cathy for a compelling article and for having the courage to call out this behaviour. I stared work in the legal profession in Australia in the 1980s and heard the same thing then about give it 20 years. That was nearly 40 years ago.
  • Gayle Williams | 30 Aug 2018, 06:51 p.m. Agree 0
    Excellent article. Thanks Cathy!
  • Chloe Barker | 30 Aug 2018, 08:56 p.m. Agree 0
    This article hits the nail on the head. Thank you for your bravery in writing this piece, Cathy.
  • A Sydney lawyer | 30 Aug 2018, 10:53 p.m. Agree 0
    This is one of the best and definitely the most honest articles I have read on the topic. My blood was boiling as I read through this, experiencing your personal journey, which so closely mirrors my own. I really thank you for putting it out there despite the risk to you professionally for speaking out.
  • Sarah | 31 Aug 2018, 12:07 a.m. Agree 0
    So well written Cathy. As a women in the senior medical workforce so much resonates. Our situations are similar for sure. I've personally been extremely fortunate to fall upon a great employer and many (if not most) of our senior roles are filled by women (in a government organisation and where our top clinical and management bosses are male but their next in line may not be). At my site approx 90% of the lead roles are filled by women (again government organisation, best person for the role etc.). This is extremely unusual but wonderful that we can all just get on and do our jobs! I wish it were the same for everyone. I applaud your speaking up and really hope that if this causes you professional or financial strife that you'll seek wider support. I'm sure you'll get it from us docs and our women in med group is large and will no doubt find you work if you're short 😊
  • Anon | 31 Aug 2018, 10:37 a.m. Agree 0
    This article is perfection. Courageous and accurate; it describes the issue and the solution masterfully. Cathy you are a rock star.
  • Haszardous mf | 05 Sep 2018, 10:59 a.m. Agree 0
    Great read! Good on you for speaking up. There are so many stories out there but people won't speak up in fear of sabotaging their careers they have worked long and hard for. People who have been held back pay, bullied and harassed for no clear and valid reason are then manipulated into departing from their role. If one analyses the kinds of people receiving such treatment and behaviour one can indentify racism and sexism in the workplace. Speaking of which, someone should investigate the high turnover at Meredith Connell.
  • Anon | 10 Sep 2018, 06:55 p.m. Agree 0
  • Kim Bartlett | 13 Sep 2018, 04:08 p.m. Agree 0
    Well said Cathy
  • Deb Chambers QC | 30 Sep 2018, 01:56 p.m. Agree 0
    Fantastic article Cathy. It’s exactly how I feel! I am so over staying silent. I’m too old for this same old rubbish. I’m going to call it out every time. Regards Deb Chambers Q C
  • | 07 Nov 2018, 08:42 p.m. Agree 0
    Meredith Connell!
Post a reply