NZ Lawyer forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

So you want to work in PR? Get a law degree

Notify me of new replies via email
Mackenzie McCarty | 23 Apr 2014, 08:00 a.m. Agree 0
A recent Australian report has indicated there are too many law students and not near enough jobs available for when they graduate - but does this translate into the New Zealand context? And what's the point of a law degree, anyway?
  • Rae Nield | 23 Apr 2014, 11:32 a.m. Agree 0
    On the occasions that I have been in front of a commercial law class in Auckland, I have always begun by asking who wants to be a career lawyer, who doesn't want to be a career lawyer, and who hasn't decided, pointing out that all three options are valid. Generally the result is about 1/3 for each option. it would seem that these students are quite aware of the value of a law degree in the wider context.
  • Allan Bleakley | 04 May 2014, 08:34 p.m. Agree 0
    My previous experience as the police prosecutor gave me good practical legal experience and one of these days when I get some time, I would quite like to get a law degree
  • Holly | 07 Oct 2014, 07:53 p.m. Agree 0
    I find the suggestion that a law graduate could work in public relations with no specific public relations training or experience quite insulting. There are many requirements of a public relations job that law students would be unable to meet. The two industries seem barely comparable. The same goes for journalism.
  • Ken D | 08 Oct 2014, 04:09 p.m. Agree 0
    Hi Holly, interested to know what you think these requirements are? Can you give some examples?
Post a reply