NZ Lawyer forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Retaining your top associates - what you need to know

Notify me of new replies via email
Mackenzie McCarty | 26 Feb 2014, 08:00 a.m. Agree 0
Talented associates are crucial to the success of any firm - but once you've got them, how do you keep them from moving on to greener pastures?
  • Simon Tupman | 26 Feb 2014, 12:25 p.m. Agree 0
    Kati Weavers' three strategies for retaining associates do not go far enough. While they are valid, my research consistently indicates that a lack of vision and leadership in law firms breeds disengagement and ultimately leads to defection. Coaching and mentoring is a great initiative but I fear that until law firm leaders make their people central to their strategic thinking, then not much is going to change. A good start would be for law firm leaders to give their associates (as well as the rest of the team) something to believe in and aspire towards beyond a sterile vision or a 1,300 hour annual budget. To quote Steve Jobs: “if you are working on something exciting that you really care about, you don't have to be pushed. The vision pulls you."
Post a reply