NZ Lawyer forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Opinion: Colin Craig's defamation suit “bound to meet scorn”?

Notify me of new replies via email
NZ Lawyer | 26 Feb 2014, 06:00 a.m. Agree 0
Conservative Party leader Colin Craig's tilt at a defamation claim has revived the tension between acerbic political dialogue and the right of politicians to protect their reputations, says media-law barrister, Ali Romanos
  • Tony | 07 Mar 2014, 03:32 p.m. Agree 0
    I believe you have missed the point of Craig's actions. The, according to him, labels Norman put on Craig are specifically designed to shut down debate, and by extension, democracy. "Racist", "homophobic", "islamophobic" etc, all words people are terrified of being labelled with in this day and age. Therefore if you are prepared to call someone such words, you should damn well be able to back them up with facts, especially as these labels can be career ending. People are becoming tired of having their opinions silenced with these modern platitudes. It's actually Craig who is on the side of democracy here, not thr "ex" revolutionary communist, Norman.
  • Ali Romanos | 19 Mar 2014, 12:24 p.m. Agree 0
    Hi Tony,

Thanks for your comment.

Interesting that you're staunchly opposed to name-calling, but then engage in the same...

I think calling Norman a "revolutionary communist" is perhaps a little hyperbolic - would you really put him in the same camp as Lenin, Trotsky et al?

Of course, given your strong views of Norman, your political leanings have been laid rather squarely on the table. Unsurprising, then, that you subscribe to Craig's mantra of "improving political dialogue"...

Do you disagree with Lord Diplock's statement?
    That is, do you disagree that there might be a section of society who agree with Norman, and that it thus Norman's duty, as a political representative, to broadcast that view?

Are you equally up-in-arms when Green politicians are labelled "insane" or "loony"? Or does your defence of righteous political dialogue only concern that directed at conservative politicians?

Personally, I think political speech is rightly accorded greater latitude independent of whom it is directed at...
Post a reply