NZ Lawyer forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Mandatory pro bono work for students: "It's not all bleeding-heart liberal stuff"

Notify me of new replies via email
Mackenzie McCarty | 30 May 2014, 08:00 a.m. Agree 0
A leading New Zealand academic says law school students play a key role in closing the justice gap - and that requiring them to do pro bono work will be a huge bonus to their future employers
  • Steph Lambert | 30 May 2014, 11:01 a.m. Agree 0
    A few of the law schools have been really supportive of internal programmes like the Equal Justice Project (Auckland) and Wellington Community Justice Project (Victoria). Be great to see those programs set as part of the law curriculum and having a broader reach.
  • Peter McRae | 30 May 2014, 12:30 p.m. Agree 0
    Thoroughly approve of lawyers and students continuing to do pro bono work. But isn't this a case of forcing students to be free? Is work truly "out of goodness" (pardon my Latin), if it's a course or graduation requirement?

The good students do pro bono now. Who will the recalcitrant stragglers be inflicted on? Bankrupt developers and violent abusers? I think not.
Post a reply