NZ Lawyer forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

"Just get a nanny and an apartment in town": Why firms' gender diversity strategies are failing

Notify me of new replies via email
Mackenzie McCarty | 05 Mar 2014, 07:00 a.m. Agree 0
Former disputes resolution lawyer, Tania Winslade, says her experience shows law firms lack foresight and flexibility when it comes to their female staff
  • John Smith | 05 Mar 2014, 12:37 p.m. Agree 0
    So you had to choose between the career or being a good mum and properly caring for the baby? Looks like you chose the baby. Well done, I wish there were more people like you in the world. I hope one day your child, and the rest of society, thank you for it.
  • Tania | 07 Mar 2014, 11:20 a.m. Agree 0
    This is something that is troubling to me. I am a 4th year student and with high hopes of progressing up the corporate ladder once out in the work force. However there is the matter of starting a family. I am in my early 30's and have no children as I have always been career focused rather than family. Now though I am in that life stage where children come into play, to have them would mean now or soon. I have been told that I will struggle to gain ANY employment because of my age and not having any children yet.
    This article only strengthened my fear and solidified the notion that change needs to happen within the legal profession. A element of flexibility, encouragement and support is needed to enable woman to progress within the confines of their careers but this should be limited to whether they have children or not.
Post a reply