NZ Lawyer forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Is it time to repeal the Holidays Act?

Notify me of new replies via email
Mackenzie McCarty | 07 Mar 2014, 08:00 a.m. Agree 0
Simpson Grierson is calling for a closer look at the Holidays Act 2003, calling it outdated and overly complex
  • Deborah Lake | 07 Mar 2014, 10:48 a.m. Agree 0
    I agree with the comments that leave calculations are complex and leave employers vunerable if paid incorrectly. Leave calculated hourly seems logical in this working environment where employees frequently work outside the previously common confines of a'Monday to Friday' working week, 37.5 - 40 hour week.
    I fully support a need for change.
  • Joseph prasad | 07 Mar 2014, 05:50 p.m. Agree 0
    Yes I do agree.
  • Helen White | 10 Mar 2014, 10:53 a.m. Agree 0
    The Holidays Act is difficult to apply and generally I favour simple consistent formulas and rights but I am concerned that such reform would be used as a vehicle for further erosion of these rights. Statutory Holidays are currently recognised as having special value. As lawyers we tend to have the opportunity to celebrate them - many do not.
  • Deborah Lake | 10 Mar 2014, 11:21 a.m. Agree 0
    Easter Sunday is also a point of difference that needs to be addressed. In terms of the Shop Trading Hour Repeal Act 1990 shops must be closed on Easter Sunday. This is not a public holiday under the Holidays Act therefore if your usual working day is Sunday, Easter Sunday is unpaid or annual leave. This is discreminatory towards persons whose usual working week includes a weekend day/s.
  • Yes and No | 12 Mar 2014, 10:23 a.m. Agree 0
    It is unfair on women who return to work after maternity leave that they are paid based on an average of their last 52 weeks earnings, but at the same time, it is ridiculous that a woman who returns to work after 12 months maternity leave also returns with at least 4 weeks accrued annual leave. Accruing leave while on leave just doesn't make sense.
Post a reply