NZ Lawyer forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Go global or bust: Chief executive issues dire warning to legal industry

Notify me of new replies via email
Mackenzie McCarty | 10 Feb 2014, 08:31 a.m. Agree 0
DLA Piper global co-chief, Sir Nigel Knowles, has issued an ultimatum to the world's legal professionals: Go global, go niche, or go nowhere
  • Rob Ord, LLB PhD | 10 Feb 2014, 11:47 a.m. Agree 0
    I am a lawyer with Canada, UK and New Zealand citizenships, and LLBs in New Zealand and Canada, and have been at the NZ Bar for10 years. I am simply "answering the call" of this article by noting there are international agents available. To paraphrase the old TV series Paladin: "Have briefcase - Will travel"!
  • Adam | 12 Feb 2014, 09:15 a.m. Agree 0
    Well some of his opinions are very broad and focus on a professional basis, the use of foreign offices is always an opportunity to provide further income.
  • Rob Knowsley | 12 Feb 2014, 04:10 p.m. Agree 0
    Who was it who said words to the effect of..."Sometimes it's more important that a new statement be interesting than that it be true?"

Considered perspective says that the vast majority of the world's legal firms are very small.
    For lawyers in those firms the comments are interesting but not usually true.

Practitioners form relationships with clients that clients value or do not over time.

Working hard and effectively to assist clients with what they can't do themselves, and charging transparently and fairly, will serve most small firms very well for a very long time to come.

The challenge is to stay truly in touch with your clients real and listen very carefully.

Rest assured, in the main they are not going global and still want whatever they perceive to be value for money in your sorting out their problems (including problems presently hidden to them) or helping them grab their opportunities with both hands.

Where you will lose them is to an organised, capable, personable, lawyer up the road, across town, or on the Web, if you drop the ball once too often...not to a global or highly niched player.
Post a reply