NZ Lawyer forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Former firm CEO accused of faking law degree

Notify me of new replies via email
Mackenzie McCarty | 26 Feb 2014, 07:38 a.m. Agree 0
The former CEO of a major intellectual property practice is being accused of lying in his CV - and faking a law degree - though some say it's nothing more than a 'smear campaign'
  • Karen Harding | 26 Feb 2014, 03:41 p.m. Agree 0
    Note Michelle Boag is obviously a loyal friend but it is not a typo to have the words "incomplete "missing next to LLB as one does not have an LLB if it is incomplete. one has to complete to finish. A typo is if word is spelt incorrectly by typing error. One would think the law firm would know as we have to pay Practising certificate fees to the NZLS to practice as a barrister and Solicitor. Did he have a practicing certificate?
  • John | 28 Feb 2014, 05:52 p.m. Agree 0
    If I did one philosophy paper at university with the ultimate plan of doing a PhD and then put PhD (incomplete) in my CV do you think Michelle Boag would think that was legitimate. This is not a case of a typo - it is simply a case of someone misrepresenting his qualifications and hoping that nobody would notice I suspect
  • Rod Arnold | 01 Mar 2014, 02:22 p.m. Agree 0
    I do agree this cannot be explained away as a typo. An internal investigation would not have been required if Mr Vukcevic had not supposedly led his colleagues on to believe he had a "completed" LLB from Victoria. He certainly would not have resigned if it had not been a consideration in obtaining the role of CEO in a law firm. There is quite a distance to travel for a “lawyer in training” from attending a class in Legal Method to practicing as a lawyer. There are however a few (like me) who do have law degrees conferred but have not undertaken professionals because their current jobs do not require them to be lawyers, or they have decided not to practice as lawyers because their academic knowledge of the law complement other qualifications and skills.
Post a reply