NZ Lawyer forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

EY Law outlines New Zealand expansion plans

Notify me of new replies via email
Mackenzie McCarty | 21 May 2014, 08:00 a.m. Agree 0
Ernst & Young's legal arm, EY Law, is expanding its legal services offering here in New Zealand as part of a significant network global growth plan
  • Howard Thompson | 21 May 2014, 11:00 a.m. Agree 0
    Back to the future! Enron's lessons unlearned?
  • Janine | 21 May 2014, 12:03 p.m. Agree 0
    Have they not heard of the Lawyers and Conveyancers Act? I hope the Law Society is investigating.
  • Cheryl Simes | 21 May 2014, 12:19 p.m. Agree 0
    No problem for non-lawyers to provide legal services. Check the LCA yourselves before jumping to conclusions. There's nothing in this story to suggest they are providing legal services in the reserved areas of work.
  • Howard Thompson | 21 May 2014, 12:27 p.m. Agree 0
    That wasn't my point. Enron exposed the conflict dangers of multi-disciplinary professional services practices but we seem to be heading back in that direction.
  • Simon Haines | 18 Aug 2014, 09:00 a.m. Agree 0
    While I understand why certain areas of legal practice should only be carried out by lawyers, I think that there are also many projects and issues that benefit from engaging a multidisciplinary team to work on, particularly in the sphere of solving regulatory and policy problems and in managing certain commercial projects (the space that I work in). From having worked alongside economists, strategists, accountants and policy experts myself, I personally really value the skills that people from those other disciplines can bring to solving a problem. Also as someone who has worked in a client business, the thinking that can come out of law firms can be very limited by the fact that they only bring one discipline to bear on a problem. I personally wish that we could relook at the multidisciplinary model because I think it is a good thing in the right context. (I was quite excited to see an "EY Legal" pop up in NZ and then disappointed to hear that it was just a law firm with EY branding.
Post a reply