NZ Lawyer forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Court date set for Eminem’s rap battle against NZ National Party

Notify me of new replies via email
Sol Dolor | 12 Sep 2016, 02:09 p.m. Agree 0
NZ National Party allegedly used the award-winning rapper’s song “Lose Yourself” in a campaign video without permission.
  • Audio_Harry | 03 Apr 2017, 08:41 p.m. Agree 0
    I still don't fully understand why this is going to court. The actual music track; which was composed by a 3rd party, was purchased by the National Party from an Australian music publisher.

The music track in question sounds similar to the Eminem track, but the National Party didn't use Eminem's music. Any copyright infringement for the music track that sounds like the "Lose Yourself" track, must surely need to be addressed with the composer and the music publishing company?

I have been using music from this same music publisher for use in TV broadcasts for a few years now and fees are paid accordingly. There are a number of music tracks on the hard drive from the publisher that one could say sounds similar to well known commercial music.

The fact that this is heading to court next month is deeply concerning to me and those in my industry who up until this suit, believe we are legally using music from this and other production music publishers.
Post a reply